09 Nights / 10 Days
Zermatt | St. Moritz
Hike & rail on the glacier express route – s1001
Arrival arrival in zurich/kloten or by car in zurich/regensdorf. Flight guests: meet & greet by swisstrails representative at the airport, transfer to hotel nearby. Arrival by car: swiss-trails has reserved a free parking space for your car in zurich/regensdorf. Hotel accommodation in ****-hotel in zurich/regensdorf. Next morning briefing at the «bike & hike terminal» of swisstrails.
Briefing / transfer transfer with swisstrails minibus to zermatt. Hourly (xx: 39) trains going to brig. Recommended hiking stage: valais sun trail no. 61, ausserberg – brig. While saffron dishes are a great attraction in safrans’ village mund, it is the stockalper palace with its gardens, towers and arcade courtyard, which is a major attraction in birg. Alight at: eyholz station, walk to lalden and on the valais sun trail up to brig. Overnight.
Railway stretch brig – oberwald hike on the alpine passes trail no. 6 through the beautiful villages of the goms: e.g. From blitzingen to ulrichen: on the sunny side above the rhone through the goms. Without much difference in altitudes along mountain slopes through woods and alpine meadows with a view of sunburnt old barns and stores. A view of the valley with the villages and the conspicuously compact construction of the houses. Overnight.
Railway Stretch Oberwald – Distentis Hiking along the Senda Sursilvana, e.g. from Andermatt to Oberalppass: A stage that will be particularly appreciated by plant lovers. Even those interested in Geology will be drawn to look up repeatedly at the crystalline mountain peaks. The interesting location of the trail makes this section one of the crowning stages of the route.
Railway Stretch Disentis – Thusis Hike, e.g. from Ilanz through the Rhine gorge (the “Swiss Grand Canyon») to Tamins: The Rhine gorge is an impressive witness to the largest mapped rockslide of the Alps. It is a particularly impressive sight from the bridge that leads through the Versamer Tobel. The huge washing well of Valendas is also interesting.
Railway Stretch Thusis – Bergün Walk on the hiking trail Albula/Bernina No. 33:This stage starts in Filisur at the historical heart of the village. Passing the dancing witches of Bellaluna, the trail climbs up to the best-maintained historical train station of Stugl. The destination Bergün with its Engadine houses is considered the Mecca of train lovers.
Railway Stretch Bergün – St. Moritz Hiking, e.g. Bergün – Preda: Hike through a true engineering marvel. The hiking route follows the banks of the Albula and crosses the railroad several times. The railroad shows the boldest railway rail routing in this section. The rail experience trail exemplifies this hundred-year-old masterpiec of railway engineering.
Departure Transfer from St. Moritz to airport Zurich, flight back home.
|Tourcode: FI.131 Hike & Rail Glacier Express||Double||Supplement|
|Price per person in CHF|
|1st class railway pass||66|
Season: 01.04. – 15.10.2015.
Our Price Includes:
- Meet & Greet at airport
- Briefing at SwissTrails «Bike & Hike Terminal»
- 9x overnight stays (Hotel cat. standard) in double room with breakfast
- 8x luggage transports from and to the Zurich airport (or from and to free car parking space respectively) and from hotel to hotel.
- Second class railway pass for the Glacier Express line (Zermatt – St.Moritz) for regular trains (special trains «Glacier Express» against additional reservation charges at the location)
- Tips, information, maps for hiking alternatives at all stages
- Travel information and documents
- Helpline 7/7 days, 8 a.m. – 8 p.m.
- Swiss Coupon Pass “2 for 1” Dine & Discover offers
Good to know :
- Accommodation in standard category, based on selected medium category hotels (all rooms with shower and WC). Available uniformly along all routes.
- Use the Swiss Coupon Pass for a 2 for 1 Gornergrat Experience with a special main course in the 3100 Kulmhotel restaurant, and a souvenir photograph.